WHAT WE LEARNED FROM CTSS VENDORS:
- 25% of CTSS vendors have been selling at the Show for 0-5 years. That is, CTSS has more newer vendors than we thought!
Vendors Show history: 0-5 years 26%; 6-10 years 20%; 11-15 years 11%; 16-20 years 13%; 21-25 years 12%; 26-30 years 6%; 30+ years 14%
- CTSS vendors are a social group. The number one reason that vendors participate CTSS is to see friends (51%). The second reason is to buy and sell toy soldiers (35%). The third reason is that CTSS is the “biggest and best” toy solder show (23%).
- CTSS vendors sell multiple categories of toy soldiers. They sell pre-1970 metal soldiers (54%), post-1970 metal soldiers (46%), pre-1970 plastic soldiers (34%), and post-1970 plastic soldiers (27%). CTSS vendors sell a variety of types and vintages of toy soldiers, hence the total of percentages is 161%.
- CTSS vendors would like to see:
– Younger vendors and younger Show attendees (19%)
– More advertising (9%)
– Targeting of specific audiences (e.g., schools, ROTC, Vets, military) (6%)
– Speakers, workshops, reenactors (7%)
– Combination of Show with related hobbies (e.g., militaria, GI Joe, military Lego, war gaming) (7%)
– Increase in diversity (3%)
WE HEAR YOU, AND THIS IS WHAT WE ARE DOING, TO BEGIN:
- Market research to learn how to appeal to young audiences. (We need Gen X, Y, and Z as vendors and attendees.)
- We currently spend 15% of our annual Show income on advertising. But are we reaching our target audiences? We need your input; please see below.
- We are currently contacting VFW and American Legion groups. We will pursue your other suggestions; please see below.
- We are currently contacting representatives of all your suggested related hobbies.
- We are introducing our first “how-to” sessions in 2018; seminars and workshops to come.
- Our efforts to attract multiple generations, and to target specific audiences and related hobbies might increase diversity among Show attendees and vendors. We need your help; please see below.
WE NEED FROM YOU:
(Please submit suggestions and comments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 847-567-5355)
- Here is a list of where we currently advertise the Show. Do you have suggestions:
Old Toy Soldier
Toy Soldier & Model Figure
Antique Toy World
Plastic Warrior Magazine
Distribution of CTSS flyers and postcards
Toy soldier shows (national and international)
CTSS vendors distribute CTSS flyers in their shops and in mail-order packages
- Do any of you have a contact person at:
– Schaumburg High School, District 211 or other Schaumburg-area schools?
– Schaumburg-area VFW or American Legion posts?
– Northern Illinois military academies?
– Scout troops in neighboring Schaumburg areas?
– Schaumburg-area re-enactor groups?
Seminars and workshops
- What seminar/workshop topics would you like to attend at the Show?
- What suggestions do you have about how to increase diversity at the Show?